On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:37:56 -0400
Joel Hammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a main network and a subnetwork, with a router for the latter.
> >From the main network, I can ping a linux box and a XP home edition
> box on the subnet, but I cannot ping a second windows box, an XP Pro,
> on the subnet. I can ping this problem box from within the same
> subnet. Is this an XP Pro thing or should I look into some sort of
> firewall on the XP Pro box?

Several silly questions first:
1. does the XP box have a gateway (the correct one)?
2. does the XP box have more than one interface configured?
        a.  if yes, does _only_ the one connected to your subnet have a gateway
address
(Windoze does something really stupid -- if you have the gateway address
on two interfaces and the wrong interface is first in the routing table,
then the XP box will attempt to send packets out the wrong interface
even though the gateway isn't on its subnet -- dumb, violation of RFCs,
etc, but true)
        b.  if no, are you running "security" (such as it is w/ M$) on the
interface?

If none of the above, you might try the Windoze lusers list. ;-)

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                Nemesis Racing Team motto
GPG key autoresponder:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]