It depends.  If I'm doing stuff where I need the whole context (helping with
technical problems or whatever) then top replying and leaving the whole thing
can be the best thing.  For other stuff, not so much.  So I randomize,
inevitably picking whatever will get the most tomatoes thrown my way in a
given context.  Here I've done it both ways so as to make nobody happy.  It's
almost as bad as Netscape Mail's "send as both HTML and plain-text" option.
:-p