I've recently received the Java source code for an application I've
been using for a while, and want to fix some of the glitches that
have been bugging me.  I've gotten most of them, but two are being
obstinate.

The original author was on a Mac, and did not have the problems
I'm having.  I wonder how to fix these, and wonder if I'm facing
something inherent in recent versions of Java for Linux.  I say
recent, because the problems are not present in earlier JDKs or
SDKs.  Some things I've fixed because the original code wasn't
quite doing the portable thing.  Some I fixed by putting in
preferences.  These two remain unsolved.

My Java is 1.4.1_02-b06, it says.

Anyway, the problems:

1) The File Open dialogs now show files in the native order,
   unsorted.  This makes it quite hard to find files in some of
   my directories with hundreds of files.

2) I'm having trouble making the GridBag thingy work.  I've
   got one sub-window that's way narrow, and can only get it
   to widen a small amount, despite giving *500 weight to its
   constraint.  The overall layout is like this:

   |                      1                            |  4   |
   |                                                   |      |
   |---------------------------------------------------|      |
   |                      2                            |      |
   |                                                   |      |
   |---------------------------------------------------|      |
   |                      3                            |      |
   |                                                   |      |
   |                                                   |      |
   |                                                   |      |
   |                                                   |      |
   |                                                   |      |
   |                                                   |      |
   |                                                   |      |
   |                                                   |      |
   |                                                   |      |
   |                                                   |      |
   |                                                   |      |
   |                                                   |      |
   |----------------------------------------------------------|
   |                      5                                   |
   |----------------------------------------------------------|

My problems are the width of panel 4 and the height of panel 5.
Panels 1 and 2 are single rows of buttons.  Panel 3 has some
scalable graphics but don't seem to be the problem, because
they have a fixed aspect ratio and I can keep them narrow or short.
Panels 4 and 5 are text.  Panel 3 seems to suck up all the
available space in spite of the contents remaining in that fixed
aspect ratio.

Anybody know where to get help with this, or even better, have
a clue what the answer will be?

++ kevin