On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Net Llama wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Susan Macchia wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have been keeping my RH 8.0 system up to date using the RHN services.  I
> > recently upgraded the kernel to 2.4.20-18.8, but when I try and burn a cd
under
> > that kernel, the system locks up - I mean freeze, no rsh, telnet, nada.
> > /var/log/messages tells me nothing.
>
> What command are you using to burn cds?

I use gcombust (version 0.1.57).  cdrecord is version 1.10-14

It happens at different points in the burn process (I am using re-writable cds
for backup); sometimes when doing a fast blank, sometimes the blank works fine
and it happens during the actual burn.  Tried different CD-RW with same result.

I didn't really pay attention to which commands gcombust was executing (prolly
should've...).

> > Do you think that the version of cdtools is incompatible?  I have done
stock
> > upgrades as I have no time for "roll your own".  I've had to boot into an
> > earlier kernel (2.4.18-27.8.0), so that I can burn CDs but now I see the
> > following error at the console (and in /var/log/messages):
> >
> > Jul 10 00:59:45 gandalf kernel: via82cxxx: timeout while reading AC97 codec
> > (0x9A0000)
>
> That looks like sound related stuff to me.

Hmm, I am able to play sound with no problem (realplay, xmms, etc) - and when I
probe /proc, I see that my sound card is a VIA82C686 AC97, so via82cxxx must be
the module (its actually via82cxxx_audio).  I only started seeing this after
updating the kernal to 2.4.20 & running the old one because of the cd burning
problems (of course I have't run long enough on the new kernel to really see).
When I have time, I'll have to try out the various combos to see...

=====