----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Hipp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Linux Users" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 5:18 PM
Subject: Linux vs. xxxBSD

> I have an upcoming web application that will be pretty intense and
based
> around apache with a database backend. The server(s) will be
headless,
> tuned for the job, and no desktop apps.
>
> Is xxxBSD really more stable than Linux?
> Is xxxBSD really a better performer than Linux?
>
> I'm asking because that is the contention of some ISPers I interact
> with. Don't particularly want to learn xxxBSD, but would if the
gains
> were worthwhile - I'm a Red Hat guy at heart.
>
> Any thoughts appreciated,

I'm not real familiar with BSD's, so these generalities might be
wrong... I'd think that performence is going to depend greatly on your
hardware. In general I think Linux will perform better then BSD if
your using a SMP machine. If your going to be using +1GB of RAM, I'd
also suspect that Linux will perform better. If your using hardware
RAID, Linux is probably going to perform better. If you have a large
filesystem(s), I'd anticipate Linux performing better. If your using a
vanilla white box, BSD may perform better.

As for stability... This is probably a bit of a toss up. I'd give the
edge to BSD, but if you have good hardware and a good install of Linux
with well tunned applications the difference here may be non existant.
I'd also give BSD an edge in out of the box security over Linux.

There are some recent articles on FreeBSD and OpenBSD at eweek.com as
well:
FreeBSD 5.1: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1184899,00.asp
OpenBSD Gets Harder to Crack: