On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 02:20, Shane Broomhall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I work with computers, mainly Citrix, and play when able with Linux.  My play time
> has been always not something that I have been able to incorporate into my work,
> but there may be a chance.  I have been talking to a Charity organisation that is
> planning on deploying Citrix to allow for remote users to access their Core
> Business applications.  They have very poor quality servers and problems with
> windows and Microsoft Licencing. I have suggested that they move across to
> Linux on the File servers to save money and give them a more reliable system.
> they are very interested,  I am wondering if anyone has knowledge of a set of
> instructions or guidelines on how to put Linux on a real server, configure it so
> that
> users can access the resources from a windows box.

Samba can do the file and print for you.  www.samba.org has good
documentation and there is a book by O'Reilly that is good too.  It can
be as simple as getting Samba up and running and going to network
neighborhood and finding the server.  As for the Citrix like remote
access there is the Linux Terminal Server Project www.ltsp.org.  I
haven't really looked at this so I'm not sure how well or easy that it
works.

> In the future they are also interested in replacing their exchange server with a
> linux
> based system as well, so if anyone has any thoughts or hints I would be very
> appreciative of them.  This might provide me with a chance to make Linux both a
> hoby and a part of the way I make my living.

There is the newly announce Open Groupware that is to be a m$ exchange
replacement.  www.opengroupware.org.

> Cheers for now and Smile...

Well, it's Tuesday morning, I forgot to take my trash out to the curb,
and spaced deodorant today.  I do my best to keep a smile on.

--Tom Wilson