On Sunday 20 July 2003 0:03 am, Kurt Wall wrote:
> Quoth Michael Hipp:
> > Kurt Wall wrote:
> > >Hey, list,
> > >
> > >I learned something interesting about DSL today. I was having lots
> > >or intermittency problems with my DSL connection. A call to tech
> > >support later, and it was fixed. Immediately. The solution: make
> > >the RJ11 cable from the wall jack to the modem as short as
> > > possible. The Ethernet cable can be as long as the protocol
> > > supports, but the RJ11 cable needs to be very short, or the
> > > connection will be unstable.
> >
> > I've never seen that problem, but it is no doubt due to the RJ11
> > cable being untwisted. The uniform twisting of cat5 and even good
> > old telephone house wire gives it an inherent ability to reject
> > noise. Has to do with how the e-m fields cut through both conductors
> > identically.
>
> This is good information. I had no idea, but this is the sort of thing
> that, lacking a proper engineering education, is indistinguishable
> from magic. Thanks!
>
> > And it's a good "trick" to remember for the future.
>
> On its way to the SxS tips...
>
> Kurt

I might add that I'm currently using (at least) a 25 foot phone cord for
DSL at my wife's house. (now sold)  Goes from one bedroom, through a
closet, into another bedroom and around the wall... etc.

Has worked just fine from day 1 of DSL install.   I would guess that your
cord is picking up some interference from somewhere and that mine is
not.