On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 06:22:06 -0500
"David A. Bandel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Your problem almost certainly
> lies with the XP system.  Can't help you much there, XP is way too
> hosed for me.  I have to Call Someone Else.

Just an aside.

I had to replace my wife's winders PC (always locking up) this weekend.
The "back to school special" at my local PC store for $350 was a pretty
decent Celeron machine (2Gz 256M 40G harddrive LAN card etc.) with WinXP
Professional.

The WinXP wizard for networking detected it's place on my LAN (Netgear
router) automagically, setup for DHCP, and even enabled File and Printer
Sharing without any of the screwing around I've had to do in the past.
Only 1 reboot. <g>  I was able to copy all the necessary files from the
ailing PC in short order.  We should have such a simple procedure for
linux that stores all the parameters including Samba.

I'm able to use Office97, but my CD writer software fails to install on
XP (bummer).  My Lexmark Z53 software is only marginal under WinXP, but
I was able to download the current drivers.

I'm not rushing out to convert everything to WinXP, but from my
perspective (occasional use) it's not really hosed at all, at least no
more so than any M$ product.  It's still a virus waiting to happen.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the