Hi!

I'm trying to clean up my understanding of the kernel compiling process.
(for reference, still running Caldera and LILO)
I'm trying to understand the purpose of the map file.  I have a file
System.map in my kernel source directory that I think is
created/updated when I compile my kernel.  I assume that it is supposed
to go in /boot.  And O'Reilly "Running Linux" says that lilo should
include a line
map = /boot/map
but I don't have this line.
So what gives?
a)  What is creating the file ~/kernel-build-directory/System.map?
b)  Is it called when I boot if LILO is not told where it is?
c)  Do I need it?

Thanks!

--
Tony Alfrey