Keith Morse wrote:
Got a situation that driving me slightly batty. I cannot get a ssh key pairs to work in a particular situation.

local host                              remote host
either :

rh 7.2                                  Cobalt RAQ3
  ssh OpenSSH_3.4p1                     ssh OpenSSH_3.4p1

or :

rh9
  ssh OpenSSH_3.5p1

both local hosts can successfully ssh by keypair to other hosts. but neither can ssh by keypair to the remote host above.

i've got the local id_dsa.pub keys in the remotes .ssh/authorized_keys file. Permissions are (remote host):

-rw-r--r--    1 admin    admin        1234 Aug 11 15:03 authorized_keys
-rw-------    1 admin    admin         744 Aug  9 15:18 id_dsa
-rw-r--r--    1 admin    admin         617 Aug  9 15:18 id_dsa.pub
-rw-rw-r--    1 admin    admin           0 Aug 11 14:31 known_hosts

sshd_config on the remote permits public key authentication:

#PubkeyAuthentication yes

I've also verified that the the entries in authorized_keys contain no superflous characters. the keys are one line.

Would this be something funky with the cobalt raq? it's ssh install looks pretty much like what I'd see in a redhat box.

Try getting rid of the world and group read/write on all those files. If you have 'strict modes' enabled it will fail if the permissions aren't locked down.

Michael