I'm running Redhat 8.0 on AMD Athalon 1800 with 256MB of DDRAM, running
to the internet through a Netgear router and a DSL modem. I run no
outside services - this is purely a desktop system. However, as I intend
to play with it (when I get time), I chose the INSTALL ALL option.

Following an uneventful install, I used the Redhat Up2date manager to
update all versions and patches. Twice I had my ISP network fail during
this process, nevertheless I did manage to finally get all the packages
pulled down and installed. However, since that time I have noticed
network transactions, particularly web page loading to be very sluggish.
On a hunch I checked and found that when pulling down web pages my CPU
rate hits 100% and in some cases stays at that level for the 10-15
seconds it takes to load the page. This is unusual, as I am on 3.0Mbs
broadband DSL, with about 2.0 - 2.5 actual. Memory usage is high, but
not into swap.

I checked background process in all runlevels and found nothing unusual,
except that for some reason sendmail was active in runlevels 3, 4 and 5.
I have disabled that.  I also disabled the firewall, but the difference
was minimal. The router shows no unusual volume or activity. And I can
see no obvious unusual entries in my boot or system logs.

Any suggestions, folks?
--
burns