Well, what does the average person want to know about? The power grid or
lifestyles of the rich and famous or American idol?  We get what we deserve.
Engineers are SO boring.

And, the environmentalists will fight attempts to increase power
generation, except by building wind farms (aka environmentally destructive
tax ripoffs), which, as I understand it, make the grid more unstable,
not less.

So, as we decline as a great power and evolve into a third world country
(California is just the beginning, and things will pick up speed),
occasional power outages will be a minor inconvenience.

Joel