On Fri, Aug 15, 2003, Joel Hammer wrote:
>There is some negative kickback here in Maryland over the MVA's going
>down.  Other govt sites were fine because they patched their computers.
>
>The obvious question is: Why didn' the MVA patch? Their answer so far is
>they didn't know about the patch. As a critic says, this is like not knowing
>the World Series is going on.

A more obvious question is why they're running mission-critical
applications on Windows in the first place!  It's not like any of this is
surprising to anybody with a clue.  When we started selling our
InterRack(rg) systems in 1994, we told people that they were only available
using Unix because there was no way to have any security with Windows.  We
turned down business when people insisted on a Windows solution.  Nothing
has happened in the last nine years to make me change my mind.  Even though
Windows theoretically has some security with NT/2000/XP, it's hard to see
any reduction in the number of worms that attack it.

Bill

When I hear a man applauded by the mob I always feel a pang of pity
for him.  All he has to do to be hissed is to live long enough.
                -- H.L. Mencken, ``Minority Report''