On Tue, Aug 19, 2003, Ian Stephen wrote:
>Hi all
>
>Supposing someone working as root (su) typed
>
>" rm -fr ./Some_directory/../*.* "
>
>then noticed, in Konqueror running on another display, what may have
>been directories in the directory from which the command was issued
>disappearing.  Doesn't look to me like that should happen, but maybe the
>command confused bash?  These disappearances having happened rather
>quickly, the root person might not even know what the things that
>disappeared were.
>
>Even worse, this root person hadn't got around to actually doing backups
>quite yet, even with helpful tips from the likes of Mr Bandel.

We all have to learn the hard way eh?

>How might this person get those disappeared things back?  Or even just
>find out what they were? Is it possible?

It's possible if the removed directories are part of the installation CD.

Bill

``Liberals love to say things like, 'We're just asking everyone to pay
their fair share.' But government is not about asking. It is about telling.
The difference is fundamental. It is the difference between making love and
being raped, between working for a living and being a slave.''
    Dr. Thomas Sowell, Forbes, July 1994