On Sun, Aug 24, 2003, Swapana Ghosh wrote:
>Hi
>
>         Few days we are having problem with one of
>our clients's server(linux 7.1)...
>Within last few days, we had to reboot the server
>atleast 12 times...

>         Now their engieers without rebooting the
>server just did as follows:
>
>#ifconfig eth0 down
>#ifconfig eth0 up
>#route add default gw 216.240.145.1
>
>         Then the server started working....

What type of NIC are you using?  Realtek, and many of those running the
tulip drivers with non DEC chips can be really flakey.  If you're looking
for inexpensive, high quality NICs, the 3COM 3c905 series are often
available for about $10US.

Bill

A paranoid is a man who knows a little of what's going on.
                -- William S. Burroughs