Well, I finally got the thing to reboot, and the newly compiled kernel is running, and I get the exact same error from the nvidia install script. It claims the compiler I used to compile the kernel is different from the one I am compiling the kernel module for the nvidia driver. I'll never know because I have no way of knowing which compiler the install script is using.

After running the install script, if I try to start KDM I get a missing kernel module. Luckily, rebooting solves this problem.
Now, I haven't recompiled all my modules with the new compiler. Things are working so why push it.
Unless I can find the Makefile for this thing and tell it to ignore the compiler difference, it looks like I will have to find an older video card for this box. Maybe ebay.

Joel