Tom Marinis wrote:

James McDonald wrote:

RedHatters,

I have installed RH9.0 and the kernel-source*.rpm

When I  cd into /usr/src/linux-2.4.x and run make oldconfig or cp
/boot/config-2.4.x to /usr/src/linux-2.4.x/.config use `make xconfig' to
add ntfs filesystem support and run `make dep bzImage modules' It fails
every time with compile errors

However downloading the latest 2.4.22 source and compiling it using the
/boot/config-2.4.x file with just ntfs support enabled works.

Can anyone tell me if they have successfully compiled the default RH
source or is it just there to add 30MB+ to the system?

Have you installed the RH supplied kernel headers?

As I recall, RH doesn't install them on install, you
have to do by hand.  I can't remember if their in the
first installation CD, or the Source CD's.

To be honest with you I don't understand what you mean by kernel headers????

if you mean the stuff that is located (symlinked back to the source) in the following dir yes it's there
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/build/

if you don't, then please explain after 4 yrs I am still a newbie sometimes.

-- James McDonald (Would you like fries with that MCSE?)

Singleton Australia

61+ (0)2 65712401
61+ 0428 320 219

Linux 2.4.22 #1 Mon Sep 1 20:03:11 EST 2003 athlon i386 GNU/Linux