Quoth James McDonald:
> Kurt Wall wrote:
>
> >At compile time, you modify the library path fed to the compiler so that
> >one gets found before the other. Compare
> >
> >$ gcc foo.c -L /usr/lib -L /usr/local/lib -lmytestlib

> >$ gcc foo.c -L /usr/local/lib -L /usr/lib -lmytestlib

This is the simplest case. It can get far hairier, but, that way
lieth madness... A nice overview of dealing with shared libraries
(other than my books) is
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO/shared-libraries.html.

> So as usual I discover the Linux system is inherently better than the
> old windows system. Thanks kurt most informative...

I don't know if it is "inherently" better, but the conventions seem
more sensible to me. Of course, I've been at this for almost 12 years,
so what seems sensible now might simply reflect comfort with my current
arrangment of prejudicies.

Kurt
--
We can defeat gravity.  The problem is the paperwork involved.