On Sat, Sep 06, 2003, Joel Hammer wrote:
>Its not just spam. I am on comcast and I still log endless code red and
>other nasties trying to attack web servers, and almost every originating
>IP is from comcast.

When @HOME was running this system, they were blocking incoming port 80 to
their customers machines, largely in response to the ``Code Red'' and
``Nimda'' worms.  They also restricted outgoing port 25 connections to
their own servers.  Most of their customer's contracts didn't allow the
customers to run servers in any case.  The @HOME abuse department was also
very responsive to complaints about abuse on their network.  Spam from the
@HOME network wasn't that much of a problem.

Unfortunately ATTBI and COMCAST didn't continue these policies.  While this
is nice for the folks on the Linux list, the net effect has been to make
the COMCAST network a major source of network abuse.  It has gotten so bad
that some major U.S. broadband providers have blocked smtp from all or part
of the comcast network.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases:
If it moves, tax it.  If it keeps moving, regulate it.  And if it stops
moving, subsidize it -- Ronald Reagan