On 09/09/03 19:58, James McDonald wrote:

Yes, in an ideal world there would be a stable API for everything, and
new versions would not be a big problem.  Pigs will fly first.

In the interests of equal time, "the rules" allow breaking compatibility between major revisions, and the jump from 1.x to 2.x certainly qualifies as a major revision. It would be nice if greater effort were expeneded to ensure backward API compatibility.

I noticed that in some of the backwardly compatible API's developers are
saddled with the good and the bad from a previous implementation and the
extra effort to maintain compatibility.

Doesn't the re-implementation of certain API's help to create what could
be a great leap forward when the newer version comes out

I'm not a developer but isn't gtk2 far superior to gtk1.x?

Not from an end user's standpoint. I've started using gtk2 apps, and they are far more bloated than the gtk1, much like qt1 was far less bloated (and the only KDE based release) than the latter releases.

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ L. Friedman [EMAIL PROTECTED] Linux Step-by-step & TyGeMo: http://netllama.ipfox.com

8:10pm up 4 days, 7:03, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.07, 0.10