Microsoft sent me a notice of a security update for Win2K, with the usual
dire warnings (update or some hacker will rip you off).  OK, the warning was
valid, the implication that it won't happen if you update may not be.  For a
change, I decided to spend the time to read the EULA, just for kicks.  I
found some interesting paragraphs.

I had to type it in by hand, because I don't know how to extract it from a
.prn file (the only thing it could be saved as), and it couldn't be cut and
paste.

* You may not disclose the results of any benchmark test of the .NET
Framework component of the OS Components to any third party without
Microsoft's prior written approval.

Translation:
We are so certain that this pig is glacial that we only allow disclosure of
rigged tests.

An additional paragraph (fairly long) specified that under no conditions
could Microsoft be held responsible for damages "...ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY
WAY RELATED TO THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE OS COMPONENTS OR THE
SUPPORT SERVICES, ... EVEN IF MICROSOFT OR ANY SUPPLIER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF
THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES."

Translation:  Whether you can or can't use it isn't our problem, we've got
your money now.

And finally, they limit their liability to "...THE GREATER OF THE AMOUNT
ACTUALLY PAID BY YOU FOR THE OS COMPONENTS OR U.S.$5.00."

Translation:  The true value of our software is $5.00.

Give me the GPL any day!

Tom  :-})

Thomas A. Condon

Plain Text Emails Don't Spread Virii!