Going back to the original topic a bit, I was in the new Fry's Electronics
in Renton, Washington last weekend, and found that they have the XESS
spreadsheet program in stock for Linux.  For those who aren't familiar with
this (and it's cousin NeXS), it's my favorite spreadsheet for day-to-day
use, bar none.  It's fast, easy to use, stores its data in ascii files, and
inexpensive.  It's also small.  The statically linked RPM I have for NeXS
is 4.2MB, and the executable about 2.5MB which is tiny compared to the
normal office bloatware.

Bill

Many companies that have made themselves dependent on [the equipment of a
certain major manufacturer] (and in doing so have sold their soul to the
devil) will collapse under the sheer weight of the unmastered complexity of
their data processing systems.
                -- Edsger W. Dijkstra, SIGPLAN Notices, Volume 17, Number 5