On Wednesday 17 September 2003 9:15 am, someone claiming to be Bruce Marshall
wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 September 2003 8:52 am, Tim Wunder wrote:

> > > Yup,  Acroread  5.0.5  with kprinter specified as the printer, into
> > > CUPS and then to the HP4000 which is a postscript printer.
> > >
> > > I've had similar problems in the past (unprintable files) and it
> > > seems to usually be due to a 'bad character' (binary zero?) in the
> > > file.  The same printer would light it's 'processing' light and
> > > receive the data but would then just turn it off again with nothing
> > > happening.   I have also seen the printer get screwed up where I had
> > > to turn it off and back on for a reset to get it to print.
> > >
> > > Have you tried printing it to a file and then printing the file?
> >
> > I've tried printing it to a file, but the resulting file would be
> > unreadable by ggv, and doesn't print. My printer is an HP960c, which
> > is not a postscript printer. I'm using Acrobat 5.0.5 and kprinter into
> > CUPS, just like you. Perhaps the problem lies in the conversion from
> > PDF to PostScript. What handles that, ghostscript? the printer driver?
> > something else?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tim
>
> Most likely  enscript

Hmmm...
Doesn't look like I even *have* an enscript executable...
# locate enscript
/usr/share/apps/kdeprint/filters/enscript.desktop
/usr/share/apps/kdeprint/filters/enscript.xml
/opt/kde3/share/apps/kdeprint/filters/enscript.desktop
/opt/kde3/share/apps/kdeprint/filters/enscript.xml
/opt/kde32/share/apps/kdeprint/filters/enscript.desktop
/opt/kde32/share/apps/kdeprint/filters/enscript.xml

--
RedHat 8.0 Kernel 2.4.20-19.8,  KDE 3.1.3, Xfree86 4.2.1
  6:30pm  up 26 days, 23 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.20, 0.09