Squabsy wrote:
I'm really stumped & frustrated now. My PC is a similar spec to yours
Michael  (but with a K6 processor) but my recording, even using this sox
rec,  still hangs after 7 mins and creates a 2gb wav file with 7 mins of
music then 100 (approx) mins of d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d

I was beginning to accept that it might be a ram issue but you only have
256m like me.

Disk space seems irrelevant also as it does the same on all my partitions
however much/little is free.

using a different window manager made only a marginal diff (a few extra
seconds at most)

I can therefore record an album one track at a time (unless it's Pink
Floyd :-) with an 8 min freak out ) but I would like to be able to leave
it running for a whole side then come back and slice it up.

There must somewhere be an option or setting that I have set incorrectly
but I'm blowed if I know what it is

I'd be most tempted to suspect the sound card. What kind is it?

Might be worthwhile to test your memory using one of these:
http://www.memtest86.com/ http://www.docmemory.com/page/products/doc/docinfo.asp

The second one requires a Win9x machine to make the bootable disk, but it appears to be a somewhat more thorough test.

Michael