You will want to be careful because there are some incompatibilities with respect to Mozilla, RH and the Java Plugins: There are 2 versions of the j2re out there -- one compiled for gcc 3.x platforms (RH9 and equivalents) and one for gcc 2.95 platforms (RH8 and "non-mainstream" Linuxes like TurboLinux). If you are using RH9 and Mozilla 1.4 (from the tarball, not sure about the rpm), you will need the Blackdown Java Runtime Environment (ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/java/JDK-1.4.1/i386/01/j2re-1.4.1-01-linux-i586-gcc3.2.bin). The reason for this is: Mozilla 1.4 is compiled with gcc 3.x and will *not* work with JRE's compiled with gcc 2.9x.

The steps for installing the Plug-In are as described by Collins Richey.

I spent a lot of time trying to fix this problem some time ago, and even mistakenly advised a colleague not to use Mozilla if he wanted to use Java applets.

Maybe time to update the SxS huh ?

Regards,
pascal chong