On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 23:30:51 -0400, Matthew Carpenter wrote:

>Can Lilo boot a software RAID Root?

Yes, LILO can do that. GRUB now has limited support for raid but it
sucks

>I don't believe any of them can.
>
>This is a HW RAID, provided by a HighPoint RocketRAID card.

Sorry, but AFAIK the only hardware raid ide controllers are the ones
made by 3ware.

I have several controllers (Promise and HPT) and none are real hardware
raid. And the drivers suck, ie: one disk fail, the server is out. No
fault tolerance at all :)

I've tried the ataraid driver and soft raid. With softraid, I'd been
able to remove an HD while the server was on (don't try this at home,
kids! You may damage you hardware! ;)) and the server continued working
without a hicup. Try that with ataraid and you'll get an insta-panic :)

Again, my suggestion is soft RAID1 + LILO. I have 3 servers using this
setup without problems.

Bye!