I missed the long thread. I guess I should try older versions.
I am still using the old glibc-2.2.1 that came with COL 3.1

Net Llama! wrote:
probe.c:250:1: directives may not be used inside a macro argument
probe.c:249:15: unterminated argument list invoking macro "printf"
probe.c: In function `notice':
probe.c:256: parse error before string constant
/usr/include/sys/stat.h: At top level:
geometry.h:67: warning: array `max_partno' assumed to have one element
make: *** [probe.o] Error 1
[EMAIL PROTECTED]: lilo-22.5.7.2> rpm -qf /usr/include/sys/stat.h
glibc-devel-2.2.1-3

LILO is very sensitive to the gcc, glibc & binutils versions that you have installed. Some quick googling suggests that the version of gcc or glibc could cause the error that you're seeing. Interestingly, someone posted the same error here: http://freshmeat.net/projects/lilo/?topic_id=139

my money is on glibc.

-- .~. Might, Courage, Vision. In Linux We Trust. / v \ http://www.linux-sxs.org /( _ )\ Linux 2.4.22 ^ ^ 7:56pm up 7:47, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.01, 0.02