Net Llama! wrote:

Now that I've started to deploy RH9 on several boxes, the lack of xedit
has started to annoy me a lot.  I like xedit, because its a bare bones X
text editor.  Anyone know why RH9 doesn't include xedit (which i thought
was part of XFree86)?  Anyone know how i could get xedit without building
XFree86 from source?

I started running redhat several months ago and have found that in their attempt to make the unified theme work. They have failed to include many packages that were in the Mandrake 9.1 install I had previously.

To compile mplayer mean't a search of the web for many supporting libraries that came standard with Mandrake.

So my opinion is that Redhat, in the quest for a simple easy to use interface has decided that you get one 'notepad' one 'calc' and blue curve. For the average user I suppose clicking on `Terminal' and getting a redhat chosen terminal is fine but for myself I like the option of trying everything and choosing a favourite. This has meant going to the web and basically having to install all the `missing' stuff, which strangely enough I enjoy because I learn more with each passing compile.

Querying the entire redhat XFree86 install shows nothing as far as xedit goes.

for i in `ls -1 RedHat/RPMS/XFree86-*`; do rpm -qp --list $i 2>/dev/null | grep xedit ; done

-- James McDonald Singleton Australia

61+ (0)2 65712401
61+ 0428 320 219

I'm sick of being trodden on!  The Elder Gods say they can make me a man!
All it costs is my soul!  I'll do it, cuz NOW I'M MAD!!!
- Necronomicomics #1, Jack Herman & Jeff Dee

Linux 2.4.22 #1 Mon Sep 1 20:03:11 EST 2003 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
10:05:00 up 6 days, 8:06, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.10, 0.06