On 10/10/2003 10:55 AM, I believe that Net Llama! wrote:

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Ian Stephen wrote:

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 05:49, Allan Rabenau wrote:

I've done that (at least in the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts directory).  Each
subdirectory now has a new fonts.dir file. No luck.
Is not the "unix/:7100" error relating to a URL:port notation?  If so, that
would lead me to suspect a net communication error, although I am able to
ping various IP addresses (from level 3).
   -Al

I had the same error on my RH 8 re "cannot find default font fixed". As Mr Bandel said, your font named 'fixed' is missing.

Re-installing XFree86-base-fonts rpm fixed that for me.

Check your XFree86 logs though, when this happened to me /var/lib/xkb
was gone too (I think the log actually mentioned "/etc/X11/xkb/compiled"
which is a sym-link to /var/lib/xkb).  Reinstalling the XFree86 rpm
replaced that.

The bad news is that this kept reoccurring every few days on my system.
Never did find out why.  After a new install of RH 9 failed with
hardware trouble warnings I installed Mandrake 9.1 and it's been fine
ever since.  Sorry I didn't have time to figure out the root of the
problem.  Maybe 'root' was the problem! :^)

IanS

I had this same problem (the error, not the solution proposed above), when
i had improperly restored a RH9 install from backups, and the
perms/ownership of alot of stuff was horked.  Check the list archives,
cause i'm pretty sure that i posted my solution.  This was about 3 or 4
months back (like May).

Hmmm... I'll look there, cuz, well, I'm having a similar issue with gdm not starting properly after an upgrade via apt-get. I've worked around the problem by switching from the graphical greeter to the standard greeter, but I'd like to go back to the graphical greeter (well, not me, per se, but my better half...)

My problem seems different from Allan's in that I could execute startx from the command line and get an X session going. I don't think he's been able to do that.

Regards,
Tim