On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:03:56 +1000 James McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Collins Richey wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:45:39 +1000 James McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >wrote:

> >>I tried the Nvidia drivers under 2.6test2 and they failed to compile....
> >>
> >>Using the default X nv driver works but the OpenGL support is
> >>(subjectively) slower than the closed source nvidia drivers. (Running
> >>chromium bsu is vslow)
> >>
> >>Hmm jas I am going to check http://www.nvidia.com
> >>
> >>Nope no mention of any 2.5 or 2.6 support... so looks like it's the
> >>XFree86 drivers or nothing.
> >>

> >No, no!  Works just fine on 2.5.x through 2.6.0-test6 (several months now).
> >I'm using nvidia-kernel-1.0.4496-r3 and nvidia-glx-1.0.4496, but I've heard
> >that the next lower versions will work also.  These are masked, so you will
> >need ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86".
> >

> So you didn't use the nvidia monolithic *.run file package but the
> individual kernel / glx packages? Maybe that was why I couldn't get it
> to compile as I used the *.run package.
>
> Can you explain what the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" line is. Is it an
> environment variable or something int he packages you need to set?

Sorry for the confusion - these were gentoo instructions.  I believe that gentoo
just downloads the *.run package and then installs it as two separate elements.
The key to it is to get level 4496 (or perhaps 1 level lower).  Anything prior
to that won't work on the 2.6 kernels.

Since gentoo packages everything automatically, I haven't really kept track of
the alternative installation methods.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the