On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 20:45:47 -0700
Tony Alfrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sunday 19 October 2003 05:32 pm, Tim Wunder wrote:
> > On Sunday 19 October 2003 8:00 pm, someone claiming to be Tony
> > Alfrey
> <snip>
> >
> > > - Is there a generic fix for this sort of symptom??
> >
> > There's the --nodeps switch that bypasses rpm's dependancy checking.
> > If you're certain that the needed libs are indeed installed, it
> > should be fine. The problem is, too many people use --nodeps or
> > --force without really knowing what it does, and get upset when
> > things stop working.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tim
>
> I seldom use rpm because of this issue.  I try to always get source
> code and compile until all parts are found.
> I only have one more library to load up and dependencies should then
> be complete.  My more general question pertains to the executable that
>
> finally gets installed and starts calling libraries.  If the rpm
> didn't know about the library in the first place (because it did not
> use 'locate'), how will the executable know where it is?
> Thanks.

rpm uses its own generated database -- a database populated by rpm as it
runs.

dynamic executables use /etc/ld.so.cache (generated from entries and
/etc/ld.so.conf and by running ldconfig) to find libraries they require.

neither uses locate -- that's a convenience for you.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                Nemesis Racing Team motto
GPG key autoresponder:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]