Bill Campbell wrote:

Has anybody successfully run QuickBooks Professional where the QB data is
on a Linux server with the Windows boxen accessing it via Samba?  I have
found some articles via google search that say it may be possible by
turning on strict locking in Samba, but there still seem to be problems.

Disclaimer: I have very limited experience with QB, preferring to use real
accounting software (e.g. multi-user on a stable platform where the authors
understand GAAP).

My experiences are somewhat dated but perhaps relevant. About 20 months (?) ago I attempted converting the file server of a small-mid-sized manufacturing company near here to a COL 3.1.1 server using Samba. Their main app is QB and they use it heavier than anyone I know. Not long after the conversion they began to get frequent corruption of the QB database. And once we lost 2 days worth of entries due to an unrecoverable data file and faulty backup and had to revert to an older backup.

In this process I devoured two books on Samba, researched every single option in the smb.conf file and turned on every conservative setting I could find. Searches of the Samba mailing list and Google turned up several references to the problem but no solutions.

In desperation we eventually had to load W2k Server on the box and I bowed my head in shame - defeated. Months later, researching the problem again, some new posts on the Samba list turned up that mentioned the exact symptoms, but again no solution and were seemingly ignored by the Samba team.

I have periodically gone back to the the Samba list to look for new data and a couple of posts there didn't yield anything. But I cannot say that the problem still exists in the newer versions. It is also worthwhile to mention that the above company is using almost exclusively Win98se clients which aren't exactly stellar network engines.

Another thing to mention is that in the process of re-loading the server with W2k I discovered the CPU processor fan had stopped. So I would otherwise have utterly dismissed it as a hardware failure and extraordinary bad luck, except that other people seem to have had the same problem. During the period the processor was presumably uncooled the machine ran fine otherwise - COL was its normal rock-solid self.

Note that lots of other companies I support use QB on RH servers - but not nearly as heavily - have no problems whatsoever. It's a size/volume problem AFAICT and probably wouldn't be easy to reproduce. I'd sure like to hear the problem has been solved but I'd proceed cautiously.

Michael