Hi All,

I had the strangest experience over the weekend : my Pentium 4 PC finally wouldn't boot, and I was forced to upgrade. Changed the motherboard and CPU to Athlon XP 2100+ and a Nvidia Geforce 4 MX card (yeah, actually I don't need that kind of power, but I was trying to play it safe, because the motherboard canonot accept a AGP 2X card), and you know what? The fonts in Red Hat look gorgeous ! Just like what Net Llama was saying.

This is so weird ! For the longest time, I was using a Creative Geforce2 card with my Pentium 4, and the fonts looked like what I would see if I was peering through the bottom of a beer glass -- blurry, with flecks of red and blue on the edges. Now, they look crisp and beautiful with the Geforce 4. I had to install the (non-GPL) Nvidia graphics drivers though, because the default drivers still blurred the fonts a little too much for my taste (though no flecks of red and blue).

Could this be the answer to the crappy fonts problem ? A matter of using the right hardware ? Windows fonts look the same whether on my old Geforce 2 graphics card or on my new Geforce 4 card. Anybody else with the same experience ?

Regards,
pascal chong