Collins Richey wrote:

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 09:45:33 -0800 Bob Hemus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Gentle Folks,
I was able to get COL and RH 7.3 to use my CD to write, it read with out any problems. When I installed RH 8.0 and inserted a disk every thing froze up. I couldn't <control F1,2,> or ?anything to get free. Had to power off and re-boot. Sooo, using Lonnie's proverbial, advice I dug into Running Linux and found the drivers are in /lib/modules. Under /cdrom in 7.3 there are 28 files in /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-3/drivers/cdrom/....

In RH8.0 there is just one cdrom file. Is it supposed to handle all of the new hardware and ignore my older stuff? Is there any way I can copy the RH7.3 drivers into the RH8.0? Are the drivers some where else in 8.0? am I SOL trying to use 8.0 and just need to upgrade the kernel and applications in my 7.3? So many questions, so little time. After all, I'm 10 years older than Joel, right at the end.

It's not the number of modules but the correct modules. Many of the modules in 7.3 may be for specific hardware that you are not using.

I thought that was the case. I just thought that the one driver listed was supposed to be a generic, but maybe disregarded older hardware. The modules listed in 7.3 are for various drives.

That being said, you need a number of modules to support CD writing.  On most
earlier 2.4 kernels you need SCSI emulation and cdrom support.  On the latest
2.4 kernels and on 2.6, you can use ATAPI support to write to cdroms, and the
scsi emulation support is not needed.

It's not that I can't write with the drive, it completely freezes up when I try to read it. The modules listed in the sxs are all in the kernel, sg, ide=scsi, scsi_mod, et all. In fact lsmod on both partitions are identical.

You can't copy modules. If the modules are missing, you will need to generate a new kernel .config with the appropriate options and regenerate kernel and modules.

OK, that I didn't know. If I download the 2.4.22 kernel or the 2.6.4, will this solve my problem? I've got both of these kernels on a CD, but the CDROM won't operate on my 8.0. Takes a fairly long time to download on my old 33.6 mode.

Guess I'll try to download a new kernel.
Thanks.
Bob