Is it possible to do an ftp server with dialup where the IP address changes every time I log on and I don't have a domain registered anywhere so a DNS service would be useless?

Sounds like you want a dynamic dns service.

go to http://www.dyndns.org org and register

once logged in click the services tab

on the left hand side select the dynamic dns link it will expand to a list of sub options.

click add host and make up a hostname and select which domain you want it to belong to and click add.

Once you have done the above you need a DDNS Client, Click the Clients link under Dynamic DNS and select one for your OS.

Download and configure it with your www.dyndns.org username and password and the hostname.xxxxx.xxx domain you selected and configure the update options per your tastes (the defaults are always a good start)

Now when ever you dial up make sure that you have the DDNS Client active and updating your name to ip address mapping.

--
James McDonald
Singleton Australia

61+ (0)2 65712401
61+ 0428 320 219

                -- Albert Einstein

Linux 2.6.0-test9 #1 Fri Nov 7 22:06:28 EST 2003 athlon i386 GNU/Linux