FYI,

A few months back I posted a query about getting my sound card to work with
alsa (already working with the OSS es1371 module).  After endless
experimentation and reporting the problem to alsa (basically no response from
them, alas and damn), I finally have a workaround.

I'm using the alsa modules in the 2.6 kernel, but I imagine this would apply to
the separately installed alsa modules for 2.4 as well.

The answer to this in a nutshell is that the ens1371 module (or devfsd) is not
smart enough to initialize the card properly on the first attempt.

All the standard alsa instructions (generating modules, setting up aliases for
module loading) are correct as published.  If I utilize a boot time runscript or
simply issue modprobe snd-ens1371, the sound card clicks to indicate that it is
working, but devfsd does not generate the /dev/dsp, etc. entries, so the card is
not usable.

What I have to do is

        modprobe snd-ens1371
        rmmod snd-ens1371
        modprobe snd-ens137

I don't know whether this is a bug with alsa or with devfsd, but at least I have
a workaround.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the