I've had UNIX and/or Linux at home for a very long time, but always
just one or two independent machines that didn't need to share anything.
Then I broke down and got printer sharing working.  Now I think I really
need to share files.

The question:  What's easiest to set up?

I have a 3-computer network (4 counting an occasional laptop), and
I mostly want to do backups over the net by having the old clunky machine
with the CD-RW directly copying files.  It would be easiest if the
subject machine didn't have to get too involved, and I'm not much
worried about consistency here.  I'm mostly worried about fire and/or
dying disk drives, so a little bit of inconsistency is the least of
my worries.

There are several 36-GB drives involved, but the actual backup
traffic will be lots smaller than that.

So I'm thinking NFS or perhaps Samba.  I'm not using Windoze much,
but it does show up from time to time.

So: where do I get information?  How do I tell if the software's
already on my machine?  What solutions should I consider?

++ kevin

--
Dr. Kevin O'Gorman  (805) 756-2986  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Home Page: http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~kogorman