On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:43:37 +0100 Roger Oberholtzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 22:09, Andrew L. Gould wrote:
>
> > I think Gentoo and Debian can upgrade themselves without release cd's; but
> > how much breakage occurs in the process?
>
> I have never had breakage in Gentoo. The incremental approach makes it
> better, I think. I do recall a problem with a glibc update on Gentoo
> that hosed some systems. That was before my Gentoo days. In the almost 2
> years I have used Gentoo, the system has never barfed. I only install
> stable releases (95% true).

I've been using gentoo for a lot longer than that.  There are occasional rough
spots even on the stable release.  The beauty with gentoo is that critical bugs
get fixed rapidly.  If you do as I do, let recommended upgrades age a week or
two, you almost never encounter problems.

Most of the problems are with new kde/gnome releases (always buggy).  Since I
don't use either on a regular basis, new releases are not critical for my
system.

With the complex interrelationships of software, no one can get it 100% right;
someone always has the right combination of software to break things, even those
things that have been thoroughly tested.  Your alternative is the Debian
approach, where nothing is declared stable until its too old to be of
current interest and operational on every architecture that debian supports.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the