James McDonald wrote:

I think Richard Stallman is carrying a rather large wound in his pride
because the hurd kernel has never taken off. Admittedly the tools GNU
provides are critical to the functioning and construction of the Linux
Kernel (please correct me if I'm wrong).

But why is RMS so dogged about the distinction?

He seems to have long ago become a theologian instead of a practitioner.

I'm glad for all the components that make up our Linux and OSS systems. Lose any major piece and it could set us back years. But "Linux" is a moniker that, for whatever reason, sells and has achieved unprecedented name recognition and mindshare. Why can't RMS leave well-enough alone?

And he better wake up, IMHO, and realize that GNU and the GPL are very much on the table in this SCO debacle.

Michael