On Sat, 07 Jul 2001, Tony Alfrey cleverly noted:
> Hi gang!
>
> OK, I've got a case of kppp on sedatives and I don't know where to look.
> My box has a Hayes 56K ISA modem (that never runs above 28K because of
> slow phone lines, but that is not the issue) with manual jumpers.
> On one partition, I run Caldera LTP with kppp 2.0.0 and my connection
> is fine.
> Now, on another partition, I have set up SuSE 7.2 with kppp 2.0.3 and
> my connection speed is about one-third of the other.  I run my box on
> the desktop with no network or any added sophistication.
> I've carefully checked both kppp configuration files and they are
> identical.  Since the modem has manual jumpers, port address and IRQ
> are the same for the serial ports on both distros.
> SuSE 7.2 comes with something called kinternet and it is equally slow.
> How can I diagnose this problem??
> Thanks to all in advance for any ideas.
============================
Check your port settings in kppp in your SuSE setup.  It may be set
rediculously low by default (9600) try setting it to 1152000, or at least
33600.
Just a guess,
HTH,
Mike

--
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that
fool you....., he really is an idiot."

-Groucho Marx