I have installed Mandrake 8.0 on a couple of machines.  The good news is it
installs very easily, even on pretty new hardware.  I like the compatibility
with RH RPMs so most software is available for it.  I have had good luck
getting CDRW to work and some difficulity getting DVD to work but that may be
a problem with the drivers for my video card.  btw...the cdrecord version
that comes with the install needed to be updated from rpmfind.net before I
could get the CDRW to actually burn cds.

The bad news....I have had trouble loading Star Office 5.2 and WordPerfect 8.
I have also had some issues with the flip/flop from lilo to grub and back to
lilo as the default loader from earlier versions of Mandrake.  I like grub
and MDL 8.0 uses lilo.  I find the printer system (CUPS) does not seem to
work as well as what I was used to with Caldera.  It drives my HP855C  pretty
slowly.  The print quality is good but very slow.  Also, I find print queue
management not to work as well as Caldera.  If you want to kill a print job,
it is not as responsive.

The ugly fonts problem is there in spades in KDE, Konqurer, other stuff and I
have not yet found a good solution even following all the HOW-TO and other
hints.