Just wondering...

If your documents actually are .TXTs--i.e. with no inherent formatting--why
do you need to convert them to .PDF?  They should be usable as they are on
essentially any platform, including browsers.  I recently had to buy a
couple of copies of Acrobat because patrons "didn't want to deal with"
multipage .TIFs.  They wanted to use Acrobat Reader (which they had to
download), even though if they had Windows there is an accessory that will
read and print them.  And even if they had Macs all they had to do was get
the latest free QuickTime.

At 02:25 AM 7/19/01 +1130, Mike Andrew wrote:
>On Wednesday 18 July 2001 06:34, Vern W Heesch wrote:
> > Didn't dawn on me that txt files contain no formatting. Sooo, any ideas on
> > something that CAN write to PDF and maintain the original formatting? I
> > tried a few searches but only came up with the Adobe windows program. But I
> > don't want to use windows.
>
>Comng out of left field here, While there is no 'standard' langauge for
>word-processed documents, many people use and prefer rtf (rich text) as the
>transport medium. I am assuming you want pdf files so that your 'customers'
>can download whatever-it-is, and conveniently use acrobat reader to read
>them. Adobe give away the reader, and charge for the creation tool, eg to
>make pdf files in the first place.

Stuart Biggerstaff

Linda Hall Library
5109 Cherry