David Bandel and I had an earlier brief exchange on the list about zlib, or
more correctly, the suspected ack of zlib <grin>. For the curious, zlib
contains the compression schemes used on ppp dialup (as an eg)

It has now reared it's ugly head.

On an RH 7.x system, and, from every distro I've looked at by proxy via
www.rpmfind.net, the necessary header files and libs are NOT supplied to do
devel work in zlib-pick_a_distro_.ix86.rpm

Fair enough. Install the zlib-devel off the cd just like anything else.
Right? Wrong, it aint supplied, and does not seem to be supplied on many
distros for reasons unknown.

The three 'biggies' where you will hit the iceberg are:

openssX
Kdevelop
ppp dialler daemon

there are others, but the above are every day must haves

www.rpmfind.net contains the solution (of course).

Kdevelop incidentally will give you a cryptic message saying (unknown) file
cannot be found. Yeah, right.