Subject: REG#0027982: NetWare Client for Lin... [Incident:caldera 010612-0009]
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 02:02:34 -0600 (MDT)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We have not heard from you concerning your request for support
in the 4 business days since we sent you a response.  Consequently,
we have changed the status of your incident to SOLVED.

If your incident is still UNRESOLVED, please use the
link below to reactivate the incident and update it with additional
information.

I have been having a terrible time getting my NetWare client to work
on
eD2.4.  I am in a large NetWare 4.11 network.  The interface seems
pretty
intuitive, but when I log in, perhaps I'll get to access volumes for
a while,
perhaps not, but it always (sooner rather than later) ends up not
letting me
access the Novell volumes and my logs go berzerk.  I'm sticking with
eD even
when Sybil comes out because Sybil lacks Novell connectivity.  The
NetWare
client is what attracted me to Caldera a couple years ago.  Could
you please
help me?

Special characteristics of our network over which I have no control
are as
follows (will change with NetWare 5.1 rollout later in the year or
early next
year):
27 different partitions in our tree.
HUGE amounts of SAPs are propagated though the tree as well.

Thank you very much,
Matthew Carpenter

ps.  Is there a way to get the NWClient for Sybil?  I'd be willing
to build
it and RPM it if you still keep it and support it.

pps.  Is there a reason that an eD2.4 box with the latest
Caldera-provided
kernel and glib's wouldn't work with the NWClient?  I get the
following:

Starting the NetWare client: module /usr/lib/modules/nkfs.o:
unresolved
symbol unregister_filesystem_Rsmp2gig_51975b8e
/usr/lib/modules/nkfs.o: unresolved symbol
__wait_on_super_Rsmp2gig_3bee8240
/usr/lib/modules/nkfs.o: unresolved symbol
interruptible_sleep_on_Rsmp2gig_7a377693
/usr/lib/modules/nkfs.o: unresolved symbol
__wake_up_Rsmp2gig_89c88657
/usr/lib/modules/nkfs.o: unresolved symbol iget_Rsmp2gig_5d37f195
/usr/lib/modules/nkfs.o: unresolved symbol
lookup_dentry_Rsmp2gig_1e8cb5a7
/usr/lib/modules/nkfs.o: unresolved symbol
register_chrdev_Rsmp2gig_37d201cc
/usr/lib/modules/nkfs.o: unresolved symbol iput_Rsmp2gig_67016cdf
/usr/lib/modules/nkfs.o: unresolved symbol
d_alloc_root_Rsmp2gig_07b37064
/usr/lib/modules/nkfs.o: unresolved symbol
register_filesystem_Rsmp2gig_29f9cad6/usr/lib/modules/nkfs.o:
unresolved
symbol __pollwait_Rsmp2gig_3de5624e
/usr/lib/modules/nkfs.o: unresolved symbol
d_rehash_Rsmp2gig_9984ba34
/usr/lib/modules/nkfs.o: unresolved symbol dput_Rsmp2gig_0ac0059f
/usr/lib/modules/nkfs.o: unresolved symbol
clear_inode_Rsmp2gig_2fd03f89
/usr/lib/modules/nkfs.o: unresolved symbol
d_instantiate_Rsmp2gig_57c45deb
device mknod: wrong number of arguments
Try `mknod --help' for more information.
nwclientd nwamd
--
Matthew Carpenter
CNI, CNE, CNA, J2CP, WP

At 06/13/2001 01:28 PM you wrote - After compiling and installing
this new nkfs.o module, I get a Segmentation Fault when loading the
module.  I use the following command (taken from
/etc/rc.d/init.d/nwclient and used from the command line):
 /sbin/insmod /usr/lib/modules/nkfs.o

Also, is anyone actively supporting the NetWare client?  I see that
this module is "Open Source" but does that mean that the client is?
Has this been announced loudly so that someone can pick up
management of the project?  What is the reason this client was
dropped?  Is Novell going to be providing a client from here out?

Thanks,
Matt

At 06/14/2001 02:32 PM you wrote - I did a make;make install and the
module at /usr/lib/modules/nkfs.o changed timestamps to yesterday
(the day I compiled).

I just now, went to the source directory and did an
insmod nkfs.o
and it took.

Then I started the client and it seems to be working.
Thank you.  I'll close the case in a day or so.  Let me work with it
a bit.

At 06/19/2001 09:57 AM you wrote - This is really odd.  When I
reboot, I get varied results.  It seemed to work the first time,
when I had to manually insmod nkfs.o.  Now that I have run depmod -a
and rebooted I do load the nkfs.o module when I start the client,
but now I cannot access any Volumes.  I can traverse the tree but
when I do a nwwhoami I get back that I have a connection to the
server I'm trying to access but I'm unauthenticated.  My logs show
this:
 nwamd[1301]: objectTable: Trying to unlock bad entry 0
over and over again.
ipx is configure to auto_primary and auto_interface.

Before rebooting (the reason for it) I was able to read from the
volumes fine and was even able to mkdir a directory but was unable
to actually write to the volume any file information.

At 06/19/2001 10:06 AM you wrote - Just ran across the following
logs as well...

nwclientd[1170]: NetWare Client Version 4.2.1
nwclientd[1170]: NetWare Client Copyright (c) Novell, Inc.
nwclientd[1170]: NetWare Client Copyright (c) Caldera, Inc.
nwclientd[1170]: Portions of NetWare Client Copyright (c) RSA Data
Security, Inc.
modprobe: can't locate module char-major-254
nwamd[1178]: init: Unable to open device.

SUGGESTED SOLUTION:
At 06/13/2001 08:35 AM we wrote -

There are quite a few bugs in the nwclient that is shipped with
eDesktop. Unfortunatly development on the client has been stopped so
those bugs have not been fixed, nor are the going to be fixed in the
near future. The problems you are describing are the same as the
problems caused by those bugs.

With the nkfs module, the reason you are getting those unresolved
symbol errors is because that module was compiled for the original
kernel and the nkfs module was not included with the updated kernel.
To get the nkfs module working again you will have to recompile it
for the new kernel. Here is where you can grab the source to
recompile it:

ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/opensource/nkfs/nkfs-4.2.1.tgz

just untar and uncompress it then read the readme and other
documentation for compiling it.

At 06/13/2001 03:16 PM we wrote -

Is /usr/lib/modules/nkfs.o the place where you copied the newly
compiled module? Make sure you know the full path to the module. You
could even load it from the source directory if you can find there
where it put the nkfs.o file.

Also you could copy the nkfs file to the
/lib/modules/<version_name>/fs/ directory then run 'depmod -a'.
After that you could try:

modprobe nkfs

and see if the module will load.

While the module for the kernel is opensourced  the nwclient is not.
The nwclient for Linux is still owned by novell but they have not
said what their plans for it are. You best bet is to contact Novell
and ask them what their plan is, becaues we don't know.

At 06/19/2001 01:21 PM we wrote -

It looks as though it is trying to open a device that the nwamd
needs to run. You can add the this entry to your /dev/ directory:

mknod /dev/nkfsd c 254 0

You have to add this as root. Also Please note that this is beyond
the scope of basic installation support so we can't offer much more
help on this subject. For more information see:

http://www.openlinux.org

If your issue remains unresolved, please update your incident at
http://support.calderasystems.com//caldera/r?11=010612-0009&130=0992394300

You may also update this incident by replying to this message.  Because your
 reply will be automatically processed, you MUST enter your reply in the
 space below.  Text entered into any other part of this message will be
 discarded. [===> Please enter your reply below this line <===]

[===> Please enter your reply above this line <===]

To view or update the current status of any incident, use the
customer login section of our Knowledge Base.  The direct url is:

http://support.calderasystems.com/caldera/custlogin

Or click the [Customer Login] link at the bottom of any of the
Knowledge Base pages. This allows you to update any incident
with additional questions or comments, and/or close out the
incident.  Within the Customer Login section, you also have the
ability to view a list of all of the current incidents that you
have signed up for to be notified on change.