On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 01:21:44AM -0500, Jim Conner wrote:
>This book as an interesting theory why businesses and people use/adopt
>Windows and how to change that mind set.  I just read the blurb here not the
>book.  Just thought I'd pass this along in case there are those that haven't
>seen it.
>
>http://linuxpr.com/releases/3999.html

It's more than a theory.  I first realized this back when I was DP Manager
for a Navy Contractor in the D.C. area where I prided myself on maintaining
a low-cost operation using Burroughs Medium Systems machines.  The IBM 360s
of the time required multiple systems engineers just to figure out the JCL
and keep OS/360 running while our system basically ``Just Ran''.  It hadn't
dawned on me that the company I worked for was working on CPFF (Cost Plus
Fixed Fee) government contracts -- the higher the costs they could justify,
the higher their fee.

Shortly after I installed our first Caldera OpenLinux 1.3 (or was it 1.2)
system in September 1997 at a law office, their office manager called to
ask me if they might be having problems that we weren't fixing.  When I
asked her what she meant her comment was that all the other law firms in
this suite had their computer people there at least a couple of times a
week to fix problems caused by Windows.  I told her that I would be glad to
come by every week if they wanted me to, but there wasn't anything to do
there (their machine was rebooted twice in the first year of operation, the
first after 6 months when the janitor pulled the power cord out of the
server, the 2nd 6 months later when the main board in the server failed).

Bill
--
INTERNET:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
UUCP:              camco!bill   PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

independence.
        -- Charles A. Beard