I have done a fresh install::

Now in my experience with the beta (sybil) I had nil problems with either
printer or sound. I have problems now with both in USER only not root: ok
permissions, but not so as I can do what I like with permissions and still no
go. they are at present:
crw-------   1 kantoine root      14,   3 Apr 28 05:38 /dev/dsp
crw-rw----   1 root     lp         6,   0 Apr 28 05:38 /dev/lp0 (lp1 is the
same)

I now have a cardreader icon plus trident symbol and it was mounted as
/auto/sda. I deleted this and came up with a positive mount on /dev/sda1
and no more complaints with no msdos fs. BUT, yes there has to be one,
when I click on the icon it comes up with an application association window.
It should just see the contents of the card I have in, but does not in
Konqueror, just a blank window. Its so close but so far too.

BTW there isn't any TAKECONSOLE on my system.

Lastly I have had success with both the cdrom and cdrw mounting them as sr0
and sr1 so as Xcdroast will see them. No idea why they were causing problems
before but!

Now for the scanner getting that up and going too. That should be on sdX as
well.

To make yourself look truthful one has to lie, as most people
do not want to kmow the truth; but only that which they believe.