> sir, in the interface name "ppp0",
> "ppp" is the deivce type, what is "0"?
> port number? device alias?
> that could aid my search.... :)

The interface number. If you have five PPP interfaces,
they would be numbered ppp0, ppp1, ppp2, ppp3, and ppp4.

> and how could you use ifconfig to change ppp0 to ppp1 after ppp0
> was up? I did come across asolution by accident while playing
> with pppoe and dial-out pppd.

I'm not sure you would. ppp1 refers to a different interface
than ppp0. I have two NICs, eth0 and eth1, and getting them
confused or forcing one to be the other would cause a great
deal of weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth.

Kurt