Well, I set up a log for the windows client.
I did find the error in my log files though. Here it is:
[2001/08/19 20:12:27, 3] smbd/ipc.c:api_DosPrintQGetInfo(855)
  api_DosPrintQGetInfo: Driver files count: 0
[2001/08/19 20:12:27, 3] smbd/ipc.c:fill_printq_info(733)
  fill_printq_info: Can't supply driver files  <----------ERROR

Now, this suggests that samba thinks it should be supplying the
drivers to this printer, but I don't  know why.
There is a default built into samba for a printer driver file, which I did
use for the Epson. I changed this explicitedly to null, and got a not found
file error for my troubles in the samba log.
Any insight appreciated.
Joel