--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 21 Aug 2001, at 9:07, Net Llama wrote:
>
> > --- Shawn Tayler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:01:02 -0700 (PDT), Net Llama wrote:
>
> > > Is there enough of an improvement to go from 2.4.2 to
> > > 2.4.9?
>
> > YES.  I'd say, hands down, the biggest is no more ext2
> > filesystem corruption.  2.4.2 & earlier kernels had a very
> > nasty gradual FS corruption bug, where you'd eventually end
> > up with ext2 soup.  And then there are lots of other fixes
> > for other random things.  Running 2.4.2 is like running
> > 2.2.2.  Why?
>
> Not entirely tangential to this question is the Reiser FS
> which I (the newbie) have heard makes a safe
> (nondestructive?) FS.  Would it be a better alternative?

ReiserFS is not a kernel, its a filesystem.  Its an alternative to ext2.
 Personally, i don't like it.  Its design is very near sited, based
around the belief that all files are small.  ReiserFS performance is
horrific once you start playing with large files (upwards of 100MB in
size).  But in fact, its performance starts to croak even below 100MB.

I use & strongly recommend XFS, the journaling FS from SGI.  I use it on
one of my boxes, and its performed very well.  Additionally, it
outshines every other filesystem in existence on large files (2GB and
up).

But, the choice is really yours in the end.  ReiserFS is getting more
widespread attention right now.  XFS is certainly far better suited to
the corporate environment where datbases in the 1TB range are common.

Instructions for getting either ReiserFS or XFS (and ext3 as well) can
be found at the Step-by-step website (in my sig).  I wrote the XFS SxS.

=====