Previously, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I picked up a used CNet, CN8800TX (?) mini-hub this weekend at a used
> computer store - so no info, drivers, etc.  The CNet, Inc site only
> gives specs, no user manual etc.  It has one BNC and 9 UDP ports, one
> is used for uplink, I assume set by a DIP switch. I am new to this and
> have successfully set up a cable modem on an all but BNC thin coaxial
> network @ home using SuSE 7.2 personal so all my kids and I have have
> internet sharing with the cable modem. THe gateway is my son's machine
> as it is closest to the cable wire coming in, thus it was chosen. I do
> not want to pull new cabling in the house, so I put two NICs in his
> box to accomodate my needs for now.  The issue is he uses windoze for his
> school stuff and games ( he's 11) and I have SuSE running on it now. I
> would like to set up a dedicated Linux only gateway in the basement and
> use this mini-hub, so I won't have to pull put one new  cable in this
> 3 level home.  Can anyone tell me or point me to a howto or SxS on how to
> use and set this up. ( I am a newbie at this, but an older amateur @
> networking. I am a physician, not a trained IT or hardware person, but
> do this as an enjoyable hobby for myself and others).
>
> Regards,
>
> Keith B.

If you have an old PC lying about (486, old Pentium) you
can install a couple NICs and run one of the many linux-based floppy routers:

Freesco: http://www.freesco.org
Coyote Linux: http://www.coyotelinux.com/
Linux Router Project: http://www.linuxrouter.org/
GnatBox: http://www.gnatbox.com

Are a few I know of. All of which offer solutions that fit on a floppy and
can run on as little as a 486.

Personally, I use a freesco router with a P166, 32MB RAM, 2 NICs, and a
floppy -- all spare parts I had laying around and I connect to @Home with it
(while they're still in business, anyway).

HTH,
Tim